BENTON HARBOR — A Benton Harbor man was taken to the hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation after firefighters rescued him from a fire early Sunday morning in his apartment.

Michael Phelps, deputy director of fire services for the Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety, said the man was taken to Lakeland Medical Center, St. Joseph, by Medic 1 ambulance and his injuries were not life-threatening. Phelps did not have the man’s name or age readily available Monday.

Two firefighters were injured and were treated at the scene by a Medic 1 crew, Phelps said.

The Public Safety Department was called at 3:15 a.m. Sunday on a report of a fire, and when officers arrived flames were showing from the upstairs of the two-apartment house in the 1100 block of Hurd St. The upstairs occupant was trying to get out, and firefighters brought him down some steps at the back of the house, Phelps said.

He said the fire appears to have been cooking-related. The upstairs apartment is a total loss and there is significant damage to the downstairs. Phelps said the occupants are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

He said the two firefighters who were injured were inside the building when the ceiling collapsed and they were shocked by electric wires.

Firefighters said there were no working smoke alarms in the apartment. The Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety will install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors for city residents who do not have them. Phelps said the department obtained them through a grant and they are available free to residents.

The detectors can be obtained by contacting the Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety through its Facebook page, or by calling Phelps at 927-8434.

Contact: jswidwa@TheHP.com, 932-0359, Twitter @HPSwidwa