STEVENSVILLE — Quick action by firefighters Tuesday helped limit the amount of fire damage inside a house in Stevensville, Lincoln Township Fire Chief Brandon Chiarello said.
The fire department was called at 5:54 p.m. to a house at 6360 Brookpark Drive. The chief was first on the scene in a command vehicle at 5:59 p.m., and a three-man crew arrived with a fire truck at 6:02 p.m.
Firefighters found the attached, two-car garage fully engulfed with the roof collapsed. It was determined fire had breached the attic and was making its way toward the living space of the house.
The homeowner, Ronald Elias, told the chief everyone was out of the house.
Firefighters had the fire under control at 6:35 p.m., Chiarello said. Crews remained on the scene until about 8 p.m. to ensure there were no “hot spots” that would re-ignite.
Chiarello said the cause of the fire was determined to be a malfunction with a lawn tractor that had been recently used and parked inside the garage.
Lincoln Township firefighters were assisted by firefighters from Royalton Township and Lake Township.
Contact: jswidwa@TheHP.com, 932-0359, Twitter: @HPSwidwa