The South Haven Tribune is an award-winning weekly newspaper located in South Haven, MI. The Tribune has the largest circulation of newspaper products within Van Buren County.
The South Haven Tribune traces its roots to owner Ira A. Smith, who ran it as the town's first daily newspaper in 1899 (To see a copy of the first issue visit the Tribune office at 255 Center St.). However, the paper actually formed in 1897 as a weekly and was started by A.C. Walterhouse.
Smith bought out Walterhouse in 1899, converted the paper to a five-day-a-week daily and published the Tribune from a location on Phoenix Street. Several years later he built a new office at 317 Center St.
Paul Mixter, one of the later publishers of the paper, moved the Tribune to 259 Kalamazoo St. in 1948 where it resided until 1993 when the business was moved to 950 S. Bailey Ave. In 2004 the newspaper relocated back to downtown South Haven.
For many years, the Tribune and the Coldwater Daily Reporter newspaper were considered the two smallest dailies in Michigan. Stepped up competition by surrounding dailies, who increased their circulation to seven days a week, forced the Tribune to make a decision in the late 1990s, when it converted back to a weekly in 1998.
The newspaper is now owned by Paxton Media Group of Paducah, Ky.